Wednesday 26 April 2017

Apple and Walnut Crumble

A few years ago I was given a great gluten-free cookbook.  Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts.  I'd flicked through it a few times, but hadn't really used any of the recipes.  This was mostly because I hadn't been able to source the Brown Rice Flour that is a staple of most of the recipes.

I recently found brown rice flour and made up the flour mix.  I tried a few recipes from the book, particularly the Rustic Apple Tart.  It was delicious.  There was a spice mix that went into the apples that made them better than just diced apples.

It didn't use a lot of apples though and I had lots of apples to get through this time.  Several bags of apples that had been given to me by friends who'd had bumper crops this year and had already filled their own pantries and freezers.

I have ice-cream containers filled with stewed apples that we're just not using.  I made too much apple sauce to go with the pork we had, so there's that in the freezer already.

I decided to make apple crumbles.  I could bump up the volume of apples to suit the size of the dish.  I also looked at the amount of walnuts I've been given and chose to add them into my apples as well.  Last week I watched a Rick Stein show that included a woman somewhere in France making her apple pies, she added Armagnac to her apples which made us sit up and think that would be delicious.

I didn't have any Armagnac, I've run out of Cognac and Brandy (hubby's 50th birthday party was just over a week ago).  I tried to think what else would work with apples and remembered an apple and bourbon punch I had at a wedding.

I made two crumbles.  We tried the first one last night and declared it successful.  The other is in the freezer.

I didn't really bother too much with measurements, below are my best guesses.

Apple and Walnut Crumble


Filling:
10 cups diced apples
2 cups chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 tbsp Nutmeg
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Bourbon
5 tbsp lemon juice

Mix all together and place in dish.

Crumble topping:

2 cups hazelnut meal
1 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/6 cup tapioca flour
1 cup raw sugar
1 tsp xanthan gum
2/3 cup butter, cold and diced

Mix dry ingredients and rub in butter.  Spread on top of apple mix and pat down.

Bake for 45 mins at 180 degrees Celsius.

On left with crumble topping, the one on the right is waiting for it's topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment