Wednesday 26 April 2017

Apple Jelly

I used to make great fruit jellies.  They had the right texture, they spread well and tasted wonderful.

Somewhere over the last few years, I lost that.  My jellies were either still runny, but in a hard toffee like way or they crystallised into a solid, crunchy mass.  I couldn't figure out where I'd lost my jelly making mojo.

I made some a couple of weeks ago.  It was as I was boiling the jelly with sugar that I realised where I'd been going wrong.  I wasn't boiling it hard enough.  After a few overflows where I'd ended up having to scrub burnt sugar from under the elements, I'd become afraid of having my jelly boil over.  At the same time, I realised that the pot I was currently using was too small and it was going to boil over.  I spent about 20 mins carefully snatching the pot up off the element as it was about to boil over, letting it settle back down and then doing it all again.  This got to be every 30 seconds I was having to lift it, but I did finally manage a perfect jelly again.  And I did have to scrub burnt sugar from under the element.

The thing that has left me a bit confused is I knew this.  I know the secret to a good jelly is to boil it hard and fast.  For some reason, I'd forgotten this and I still don't understand how or why.

Anyway, with the last lot of apples, I'm making some more.

Apple Jelly


Apple peels and cores.
Sugar

Put the peels and cores into a pot and cover with water.  Bring to the boil and simmer until it's all very soft.  Strain through a jelly bag overnight, do not squeeze.

Measure liquid and return to a large heavy based pan.  Bring to the boil and add sugar at a rate of 1 cup of sugar to each cup of strained juice.  Stir until dissolved and boil hard for at least 10 mins.  Test as for jam.  Pour into hot sterilised jars and put lids on.


With my last batch, I found that the pot for boiling the jelly needs to be at least four times the volume of the juice and sugar, because it will boil up that high.

Jelly just starting to boil

Jelly about to boil over
Finished jellies

No comments:

Post a Comment