Thursday 4 May 2017

Potato Rosti

As I wrote in the Potato Cakes blog, I used half of my 'damaged' potatoes to make Rosti.

I've seen many variations on recipes for these.  Some as simple as grated potato and some containing plenty of egg and flour.  I've seen failures on cooking competition tv programmes, where the Chef Judges' comments explained that washing the grated potato removes the starch that glues them together.

This recipe also comes from my old cookbook where I've gathered recipes over that past 25 years.

I didn't have any bacon, instead I used finely chopped onion.  I also cooked them in silicon egg rings so that I could keep some size consistency.  When they'd cooled, I freeflow froze them and then put them into a bag in the freezer.

You will notice a distinct lack of measurements.  That's because they don't really matter.  Obviously, you're not going to make a rosti that's 90% bacon.

Potato Rosti


Potatoes
Smoked Bacon (diced)
salt and pepper
Oil

Boil potatoes for 10 mins.  Grate coarsely and add bacon and salt and pepper to taste.  Heat oil in frypan and cook spoonfuls of potato for 10 mins each side.

Rosti cooking in silicon egg rings

Cooked Rosti cooling before going into the freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment